This document provides information on dataset syncing in BrightGauge. BrightGauge uses datasets to connect different datasources and types of data in one place. Datasets determine what information is gathered and merge different parts of data together.
Dataset Sync Characteristics
Datasets have the following sync characteristics:
- All datasets from on premises integrations sync automatically at midnight local time. API datasets may take longer to fully sync.
- A dataset used by a gauge on a scheduled report syncs one hour prior to the report being sent.
- Datasets powering gauges on a dashboard sync according to the Dashboard Sync Frequency when the dashboard is opened in an active web browser.
- Most datasets sync every four hours when attached to a dashboard, though some may sync faster. Fast-syncing datasets are denoted by an asterisk and sync every five minutes when attached to a dashboard.
- A dataset will not sync if no gauges are built from it.
The sync frequency can be changed for custom datasets from on-premises datasources. Select a frequency that is appropriate for the data you are querying. For example, if the data only updates once a day, pick a frequency longer than one day. Larger datasets take longer to sync and require a longer sync frequency. Please note that the sync frequency cannot be changed for datasets from cloud-hosted datasources.
Dashboard Sync Frequency
We have faster syncing on the dashboards. However, this only occurs when gauges are up on a dashboard. Each gauge on a dashboard is built off of a dataset. Each reliant dataset on that dashboard then is put on its dashboard sync frequency. Most datasets will sync every 4 hours, however, some will sync quicker.
The default datasets that sync faster are denoted by an asterisk at the start of their name. These will sync every 5 minutes when up on a dashboard. If you have an on-premise datasource, you can also set your own custom dashboard sync frequencies, just make sure to select one that is appropriate for the data you are querying (if it only updates once a day, then no need to have it sync faster).
If it is a larger dataset, a longer sync frequency is required because it will take longer to sync). No matter what dataset it is, there are a few places where you can determine its dashboard sync frequency.
Determine Sync Frequency
To determine the sync frequency of a dataset:
- From a dataset: Navigate to DATA > Datasets, then select the dataset. The sync frequency is displayed in the Dashboard Sync Frequency box.
- From a dashboard gauge: Click the Info button in the top-left corner of a gauge, then select Gauge Info.
- From the gauge builder: The dashboard sync frequency appears in the Dataset Details panel.
- When creating a gauge: The dashboard sync frequency displays on the Pick a Dataset screen.
Please note that the sync frequency cannot be changed for datasets from cloud-hosted datasources or for default datasets from on-premises datasources. If you would like to change the sync frequency for a default dataset, please contact Support by selecting Help > Open a Ticket from the top menu bar. The fastest sync interval available is two minutes.
You can adjust the sync frequency for custom datasets. However, it is recommended to leave the sync settings at their default values. If you do adjust the sync frequency, be aware of the sync interval before you change the sync frequency. For example, if a dataset takes three or four minutes to sync, setting the dashboard sync frequency to five minutes will cause sync errors within BrightGauge and potential performance issues within the database.
View Sync History
Review your dataset sync history to ensure that your datasets are syncing as expected and without error.
To view your dataset sync history:
Navigate to DATA > Sync History. To view the sync history for a single dataset, select the dataset from the menu. Filter for successful or failed syncs.
Manually Sync a Dataset
If you have a dataset that needs refreshing and isn’t on a dashboard, then you can force it to sync.
Navigate to DATA > Datasets.
Select the dataset.
Click on the Sync button.
Note: The sync button only works once every 30 minutes per dataset. Ensure that your data updates are finalized before initiating the manual sync.
Gauges in scheduled reports sync, at minimum, 1 hour prior to the report being generated. However, if the gauge is also on a dashboard that syncs more frequently, the gauge syncs more frequently than one hour.