This document is a step by step guide for setting up the ConnectWise Manage Cloud integration within BrightGauge.
Step 1 - Log in to your BrightGauge Account
If you haven’t created an account yet, go here to get started.
Once logged in, to get started:
- New Accounts
On first login, from the account Overview page, click on the "Add a Datasource" button:
- Existing Accounts
Click on the "Data" menu on the the top righthand corner of the screen, and select "Datasources" from the drop down menu:
Find the ConnectWise Cloud datasource under "All" or under the appropriate category:
Whether a new or existing account, you'll come to the following screen. Leave that open while you proceed with Step 2
Step 2 - Create a REST user within ConnectWise Manage
- Login to Manage using the desktop application. This process requires creating a new member, which can only be done through the desktop application, not the web browser
- Click on the System section to the left (#1) and then click on Members (#2)
- You'll now need to create a new API Member. Luckily this does not count against your regular user licenses. To do so, click on the API Members tab at the top (#3) and then click on the plus (+) sign to the left (#4)
- Make sure to fill out all required fields. The password field will be blank. Giving this user a role of Admin is not required, but having the wrong access level can cause data issues, so using an Admin role is best. Before 2018.5 there were a few settings that were ignored on the Member page. In order not to restrict which service boards you can see, you will need to make sure the Level is Corporate and the Name to the only option available. Once done, click on the save button to the top.
- Once created, you will now need to generate API keys. Click on the API Keys tab at the top (#5) and then the plus sign to the left (#6)
- You'll be asked to create a descriptive name for this key. You can create anything you want here, just make it descriptive. Once done, you'll need to save (click on the Save icon, above the words "Public API Key".
- Once saved, the two API keys will show. We need the Public and Private keys. Make sure to save both keys now. While you can access the Public key later, you won't be able to access the Private key later, so if you don't write it down now and need it again later, you'll have to create new API Keys.
Step 3 - Enter in the credentials
Now go back to the screen you came to in Step 1. You'll now need to fill in the fields with the following information:
- Name: A name for your integration. You'll see this quite a bit later, so ConnectWise Manage Cloud is probably best
- Site: This is the region in which your ConnectWise Manage instance is hosted. It's most notable by the URL you use to login to Manage
- Company ID: This is ConnectWise Manage's formatted name for your company. It's the same as when you login to Manage
- Public Key: This is #10 from Step 2 above
- Private Key: This is #11 from Step 2 above
- Your Locale: This is your country/region for CW. It will allow for deep linking.
Step 4 - Test Connection
Once you've filled out all of the fields, make sure to test the connection. If successful, save the connection.
Please note, a common issue we have seen clients experience is with the "AutoFill" feature in web browsers inputting the wrong credentials for the database user field. When a test connection is successful, the page is refreshed and the autofill takes effect automatically without the user realizing. The user then selects save, accidentally saving the autofilled credentials which are incorrect. A way to prevent this issue is to open a private browsing window (or incognito window) to fill out the datasource configuration page, or simply retyping the credentials after the test connection and clicking "Save".
Once you’ve saved the connection then the datasets and gauges will be added to your account and they will start syncing immediately. Initial syncs usually take 20-30 minutes.
FAQ: Dispatch Portal
If you're newly created BrightGauge user is showing up in the dispatch portal, then there's an easy option to stop that. In the panel where you first created the user, there's a section for scheduling. Make sure to tick the box for "Do not display this member on the Dispatch Portal" and the API user will now disappear.
Dashboards, reports, datasets, and gauges will be added to your account after the datasource is saved. They will start syncing immediately and typically complete syncing after 20-30 minutes.
Your Default Dashboards
- Agreement KPIs
- BGS - Procurement
- BGS - Projects
- BGS - SLA
- BGS - Service Board
- BGS - Service Desk Leaders
- BGS Sales Board
- Client Dashboard Template
- In/Out Board
- Member Efficiency
- Tech Dashboard
Your Default Reports
- Agreement Monthly Review
- BGS - Monthly Project Wrapup
- BGS - Service Desk Leaders
- BGS - Weekly Project Report
- CW Hosted Executive Summary Report
- Member Efficiency - Current Week
- Member Efficiency - Today
For a list of all default gauges, please visit the "Gauges" section of your account, sort by the Datasource you'd like to see and select for Default.
If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask us at email@example.com.