Step 1 - Log in to your BrightGauge Account
If you haven’t created an account yet, go here to get started.
Once logged in, to get started:
- New Accounts
On first login, from the Account Overview page, click Add a Datasource.
- Existing Accounts
Click on the Data menu on the top right corner of the screen and select Datasources from the drop-down:
Find the ConnectWise Manage datasource under All or under PSA.
Whether a new or existing account, you'll come to datasource settings screen below. Leave this page open as it is used in Step 4. You can now proceed to the next steps.
Step 2 - Download and Install BrightGauge Agent
Since ConnectWise Manage runs off a SQL database, you’ll need to download and configure the BrightGauge Agent. Click the Download link to download the agent. Documentation to help set up configure the BrightGauge Agent can be found here. Make sure to install the BrightGauge agent on a machine somewhere within the same network as your MS-SQL database for ConnectWise Manage. If you have issues, there are some known issues here or email email@example.com.
Step 3 - Create a SQL user within ConnectWise Manage database
Once the agent is up and running, you’ll now need to create a SQL user within the ConnectWise Manage database. ConnectWise Manage runs off of MS-SQL, so here’s a guide on how to do that. Make sure to enable the user to log into the ConnectWise Manage database. The ConnectWise Manage database starts with cwwebapp_ and is usually followed by your company ID (Ex. "cwwebapp_brightgauge"). You’ll also need to put this database name into #5 in the screenshot above.
For ConnectWise Manage, we also need the EXECUTE permission. This is a requirement for some of our more advanced datasets. This is related to technician costs, so if you're not interested in the data related to that, used in metrics looking at Agreement Profitability, Project Profitability, or Time Entry cost, then let us know and we'll remove the fields for you.
This permission is made at the database level, so if using SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS):
- find your database for ConnectWise on the left
- Right click and go to properties
- Go to permissions
- Select the user created for BrightGauge and scroll down and Grant the Execute permission. If you see 2 Execute permissions, grant it for the current schema (dbo is the default schema).
This is a bit complicated, so if you need guidance, here's a video:
Step 4 - Configure the Datasource Settings
Refer to the screenshot above and match the corresponding numbered fields:
- Name: A name for the connection.
- Agent Host: The computer on which the agent is installed.
- Database Internal IP/Hostname: Internal IP address or hostname for the database server (if using multiple SQL instances, use the IP or machine name followed by a backslash and then the instance name: 192.168.1.100\instance or SQLServer\instance).
- Database Name: The database name (e.g., cwwebapp_brightgauge).
- Database Internal Port: This field is for advanced SQL setups not using the default SQL port (1433). Enter the non-default port in this field. Leave BLANK if using the default SQL port (1433).
- Database Username: Your database username.
- Database Password: Your database password.
Deep Linking (This section is optional. More information can be found here.)
- Your ConnectWise Manage URL
- Your ConnectWise Manage Locale
- Your ConnectWise Manage company name (Used to log into ConnectWise Manage)
Step 5 - Test Connection
After you complete fields, make sure to test the connection. If successful, save the connection. Dashboards, reports, datasets, and gauges will be added to your account after the datasource is saved. They will start syncing immediately and typically complete syncing after 20-30 minutes.
Note: A common issue we have seen clients experience is with the "AutoFill" feature in web browsers inputting the wrong credentials for the database user field. When a test connection is successful, the page is refreshed and the autofill takes effect automatically without the user realizing. The user then selects save, accidentally saving the autofilled credentials which are incorrect. A way to prevent this issue is to open a private browsing window (or incognito window) to fill out the datasource configuration page, or simply retyping the credentials after the test connection and clicking Save.
Your Default Dashboards
- Apps Dashboard
- BGS - Machine Monitoring
- Machine Watchlist
- Monitor Information
Your Default Reports
- BGS - Procurement Week in Review
- BGS - Sales Reps Leaders
- BGS - Service Desk Leaders
- BGS - Time Sheets
- CW - Executive Report Summary
- Member Efficiency - Current Week
- Member Efficiency - Today
- Monthly Project Wrapup
- Weekly Project Work Summary
Your Default Datasets
- Assigned Resources
- Open Tickets
- Ticket Statistics Last 14 Days
- Time Entry Last 14 Days
- Activity Data
- Agreement Data Monthly
- Assigned Resources Last 210 Days
- Company Data
- Configuration Data
- Configuration Questions and Answers
- Contact Data
- Invoice Data
- Member Data
- Opportunity Data
- Product Data
- Project Data
- Project Phase and Tickets Last 210 Days
- Purchase Orders Last 365 Days
- Sales Orders Last 365 Days
- Survey Responses
- Ticket SLA Data Live
- Ticket Statistics Last 210 Days
- Time Entry Last 210 Days
- Time Sheets Data
For a list of all default gauges, please visit the "Gauges" section of your account, sort by the Datasource you'd like to see and select for Default.
For additional information, please check out our support forums at support.brightgauge.com.