This document is a step-by-step guide for setting up the N-Central Report Manager integration within BrightGauge.
Step 1 - Log in to your BrightGauge Account
If you haven’t created an account yet, go here to get started.
After you log in:
- New Accounts
On first login, from the account Overview page, click Add a Datasource.
- Existing Accounts
Select Data > Datasources.
Find the Solarwinds MSP N-Central Report Manager icon under either All or under the RMM category.
Click on the N-Central Report Manager tile to open the datasource settings screen. Leave this page open as it will be used in Step 4.
Step 2 - Download and Install BrightGauge Agent
Because N-Central Report Manager runs off a SQL database, you’ll need to download and configure the BrightGauge Agent. Click Download to download the agent. Documentation to help set up configure the BrightGauge Agent can be found here. Make sure to install the BrightGauge agent on a machine somewhere within the same network as your MS-SQL database for N-Central Report Manager. If you have issues, review the known issues or contact Support by selecting Help > Open a Ticket from the top menu bar.
Step 3 - Create a SQL User in N-Able Reporting Manager Database
After the agent is up and running, you’ll now need to create a SQL user within the N-Able database. N-Able runs off of MS-SQL, so here’s a guide on how to do that. Make sure to add an access group to the user and to enable the user to log in to the N-Able databases. If the user does not have an access group, you will not be able to access your data.
The integration requires read (the permission is db_datareader) access to two databases in your setup:
- warehouse (this is the default name, but it can be changed to something with your company name in the string. This is also the name of the database you'll be using in Step 4).
Step 4 - Configure the Datasource Settings
Refer to the screenshot above and match the corresponding numbered fields:
- Name: A name for the connection.
- Agent Host: The computer on which the agent is installed.
- Database Internal IP/Hostname: Internal IP address or hostname for the database server (if using multiple SQL instances, use the IP or machine name followed by a backslash and then the instance name: 192.168.1.100\instance or SQLServer\instance).
- Database Name: The database name (e.g., cwwebapp_brightgauge).
- Database Internal Port: This field is for advanced SQL setups not using the default SQL port (1433). Enter the non-default port in this field. Leave BLANK if using the default SQL port (1433).
- Database Username: Your database username.
- Database Password: Your database password.
Step 5 - Test Connection and Save
After you complete all fields, make sure to test the connection. If successful, save the connection.
Please note, a common issue we have seen clients experience is with the "AutoFill" feature in web browsers inputting the wrong credentials for the database user field. When a test connection is successful, the page is refreshed and the autofill takes effect automatically without the user realizing. The user then selects save, accidentally saving the autofilled credentials which are incorrect. A way to prevent this issue is to open a private browsing window (or incognito window) to fill out the datasource configuration page, or simply retyping the credentials after the test connection and clicking Save.
Dashboards, reports, datasets, and gauges will be added to your account after the datasource is saved. They will start syncing immediately and typically complete syncing after 20-30 minutes.
Your Default Dashboards
- Machine Monitoring
Your Default Reports
- Daily Machine Report
- N-Able Executive Summary Report
- Warranty Report
- Application Data
- Backup Statistics
- Current AV Protection Status
- Current Server Disk Space
- Current Workstation Disk Space
- Machine Statistics
- Patch Detail
- Patch Status
- Remote Control Data
- Reporting Manager Stats
- Server Utilization
For a list of all default gauges, please visit the Gauges section of your account, sort by the Datasource you'd like to see, and select for Default.
If you have any questions, please contact Support by selecting Help > Open a Ticket from the top menu bar.