This document is a step by step guide for setting up the N-Central Report Manager integration within BrightGauge.
Step 1 - Log in to your BrightGauge Account
If you haven’t created an account yet, go here to get started.
Once logged in, to get started:
- New Accounts
On first login, from the account Overview page, click on the "Add a Datasource" button:
- Existing Accounts
Click on the "Data" menu at the top righthand corner of the screen, and select "Datasources" from the drop down menu:
Find the Solarwinds MSP N-Central Report Manager icon under "All" or under the "RMM" category:
Whether a new or existing account, you'll come to datasource settings screen below.Leave this page open as it will be used in Step 4. You can now proceed onto the next steps.
Step 2 - Download and Install BrightGauge Agent
Since N-Central Report Manager runs off a SQL database, you’ll need to download and configure the BrightGauge Agent. The link to download the BrightGauge Agent is on this screen (Item "A" above). Documentation to help setup configure the BrightGauge Agent can be found here. Make sure to install the BrightGauge agent on a machine somewhere within the same network as your MS-SQL database for N-Central Report Manager. If you have issues, there are some known issues here or email firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance. If you want to limit the firewall exception to inquiries from our IP addresses, you can see them above item "B" in the image above (blurred out here, login to see the addresses).
Step 3 - Create a SQL user within N-Able Reporting Manager database
Once the agent is up and running, you’ll now need to create a SQL user within the N-Able database. N-Able runs off of MS-SQL, so here’s a guide on how to do that. Make sure to enable the user to log into the N-Able databases. We'll need read (the permission is db_datareader) access to 2 databases in your setup:
- warehouse (this is the default name, but it can be changed to something with your company name in the string. This is also the name of the database you'll be using in Step 4).
Step 4 - Configure the Datasource Settings
Refer to the screenshot below and match the corresponding numbered fields:
1. Connection Name
2. The external IP address for the BrightGauge Agent on your network
3. Port Opened on your firewall
4. Internal IP Address for the Database or Machine Name (if using multiple SQL instances, use the IP or machine name followed by a back slash and then the instance name: 192.168.1.100\instance or SQLServer\instance)
5. Database name (Ex. "warehouse")
6. This field is for advanced SQL setups not using the default SQL port (1433). Enter the non-default port in this field. Leave BLANK if using the default SQL port (1433).
7. Username you created in the database
8. Password you created for that username
Step 5 - Test Connection and Save
Once you've filled out all of the fields, make sure to test the connection. If successful, save the connection.
Please note, a common issue we have seen clients experience is with the "AutoFill" feature in web browsers inputting the wrong the credentials for the database user field. When a test connection is successful, the page is refreshed and the autofill takes effect automatically without the user realizing. The user then selects save, accidentally saving the autofilled credentials which are incorrect. A way to prevent this issue is to open a private browsing window (or incognito window) to fill out the datasource configuration page, or simply retyping the credentials after the test connection and clicking "Save".
Dashboards, reports, datasets, and gauges will be added to your account after the datasource is saved. They will start syncing immediately and typically complete syncing after 20-30 minutes.
Your Default Dashboards
- Machine Monitoring
Your Default Reports
- Daily Machine Report
- N-Able Executive Summary Report
- Warranty Report
- Application Data
- Backup Statistics
- Current AV Protection Status
- Current Server Disk Space
- Current Workstation Disk Space
- Machine Statistics
- Patch Detail
- Patch Status
- Remote Control Data
- Reporting Manager Stats
- Server Utilization
For a list of all default gauges, please visit the "Gauges" section of your account, sort by the Datasource you'd like to see and select for Default.
For additional information, please check out our support forums at support.brightgauge.com.