This document is a step-by-step guide for setting up the Zendesk integration within BrightGauge.
Step 1 - Log in to your BrightGauge Account
If you haven’t created an account yet, go here to get started.
After you log in:
- New Accounts
On first login, from the account Overview page, click Add a Datasource.
- Existing Accounts
Select Data > Datasource.
Find the Zendesk icon under All.
Clicking on the Zendesk datasource logo opens the datasource settings page. Keep it open as we'll come back to it in Step 3.
Step 2 - Create an API key in Zendesk
Now we need to go to Zendesk to create an API key. To do this you'll need to be an administrator on your account.
- Log in to your Zendesk account.
- Click on Account Management in the bottom-left to open your account settings.
- Scroll to the Apps and Integrations section and click on the Zendesk API under the API's heading. Refer to the image below:
- Enable the Token access.
- Click on the Add API Token link.
- Create a name for this API token. A token string is created. This string is used to configure the datasource in BrightGauge. Note that this API cannot be shown again, so store the credential somewhere safe. If you ever lose it, you'll must create a new one.
After you create your API token, return to the datasource settings page in BrightGauge and proceed to configure the datasource.
Step 3 - Configure Datasource
You'll now need to fill in the appropriate information.
- Name: Name the datasource. This can be Zendesk or anything you want
- Zendesk URL: When you log in to Zendesk, you'll go to *.zendesk.com or you get redirected to that site. This box is whatever is there instead of the asterisk
- Zendesk Username: This should be the username you log in as, usually your email address. Make sure this is associated with an administrator, as agent-level users can cause data discrepancies.
- Zendesk API Token: This is the API token that you created in Step 2 above.
Step 4 - Test Connection and Save
After you complete all fields, make sure to test the connection. If successful, save the connection.
Please note, a common issue we have seen clients experience is with the "AutoFill" feature in web browsers inputting the wrong credentials for the database user field. When a test connection is successful, the page is refreshed and the autofill takes effect automatically without the user realizing. The user then selects save, accidentally saving the autofilled credentials which are incorrect. A way to prevent this issue is to open a private browsing window (or incognito window) to fill out the datasource configuration page, or simply retyping the credentials after the test connection and clicking Save.
Dashboards, reports, datasets, and gauges are added to your account after the datasource is saved. They start syncing immediately and typically complete syncing after 20-30 minutes.
Your Default Dashboards
- BGS - Service Leaders
- BGS Service Ticket KPIs
- Client Dashboard Template
- Tech Dashboard
Your Default Reports
- BGS - Service Leaders
- Zendesk - Executive Report Summary
Your Default Datasets
- Ticket Statistics
- User Data
For a list of all default gauges, please visit the Gauges section of your account, sort by the Datasource you'd like to see, and select for Default.
If you have any questions, please contact Support by selecting Help > Open a Ticket from the top menu bar.