Step 1 - Log in to your BrightGauge Account
If you haven’t created an account yet, go here to get started.
Once logged in, to get started:
- New Accounts
On first login, from the account Overview page, click on the "Add a Datasource" button:
- Existing Accounts
Click on the "Data" menu at the top righthand corner of the screen, and select "Datasources" from the drop down menu:
Find the "Zendesk" icon under "All":
Whether a new account or an existing, clicking on the Zendesk datasource logo will bring you to the page below. Keep it open as we'll come back to it in Step 3.
Step 2 - Create an API key in Zendesk
Now we need to go to Zendesk to create an API key. To do this you'll need to be an administrator on your account.
- Login to your Zendesk account. At the bottom left is a gear icon, click on it to take it to your account settings (#1).
- In account settings, scroll down to the channel section (#2) and click on the API link (#3)
- On the API page, make sure to enable the REST API(#4). Once enabled, click on the add token link (#5).
- Create a name for this API token (#6).
- A token string is now created (#7). This is what we'll need in Step 3. Note that this API cannot be shown again, so store the credential somewhere safe. If you ever lose it, you'll have to create a new one
Now you've created your API token, go back to the page from Step 1 and proceed onto Step 3.
Step 3 - Configure Datasource
You'll now need to fill in the appropriate information.
- Name - name the datasource. This can be Zendesk or anything you want
- Zendesk URL - when you login to Zendesk, you'll go to *.zendesk.com or you get redirected to that site. This box is whatever is there instead of the asterisk
- Zendesk Username - This should be the username you login as, usually your email address. Make sure this is associated with an administrator, as agent level users can cause data discrepancies.
- Zendesk API Token - This is the API token that you created in Step 2 above.
Step 4 - Test Connection and Save
Once you've filled out all of the fields, make sure to test the connection. If successful, save the connection.
Please note, a common issue we have seen clients experience is with the "AutoFill" feature in web browsers inputting the wrong the credentials for the database user field. When a test connection is successful, the page is refreshed and the autofill takes effect automatically without the user realizing. The user then selects save, accidentally saving the autofilled credentials which are incorrect. A way to prevent this issue is to open a private browsing window (or incognito window) to fill out the datasource configuration page, or simply retyping the credentials after the test connection and clicking "Save".
Dashboards, reports, datasets, and gauges will be added to your account after the datasource is saved. They will start syncing immediately and typically complete syncing after 20-30 minutes.
Your Default Dashboards
- BGS - Service Leaders
- BGS Service Ticket KPIs
- Client Dashboard Template
- Tech Dashboard
Your Default Reports
- BGS - Service Leaders
- Zendesk - Executive Report Summary
Your Default Datasets
- Ticket Statistics
- User Data
For a list of all default gauges, please visit the "Gauges" section of your account, sort by the Datasource you'd like to see and select for Default.
If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask us at firstname.lastname@example.org.