Step 1 - Ensure Integration Requirements Are Met
- You can only authorize access to a QuickBooks company if you are the Master Administrator or a Company Administrator.
- There can only be one user at a time connected to a given company. Click here for more information on how to transfer to another user.
Step 2 - Log in to your BrightGauge Account
If you haven’t created an account yet, go here to get started.
Once logged in:
- New Accounts
On first login, from the account Overview page, click on the "Add a Datasource" button:
- Existing Accounts
From the account Overview page (to access click on the BrightGauge logo on the top left hand corner), click on "Add a new Datasource" towards the bottom right of the page (next to the list of your existing datasources):
Or, click on the "Data" menu on the the top righthand corner of the screen, and select "Datasources" from the drop down menu:
Now you can find the datasource under "All", or under the category it belongs to; in this case we can find QuickBooks under Finance.
Step 3 - Authenticate with QuickBooks Online
Now we need to authenticate with QuickBooks Online.
- Click on the Connect to QuickBooks button at the center of your screen:
- If not currently logged into QuickBooks, a window will open asking you to log in. Please ensure you've logged in with a user that has view access for customer information, otherwise the integration may fail with inadequate permissions. If already logged in, please skip to step 4.
- Make sure to provide the code required with two step verification.
- Authorize BrightGauge to speak with your QuickBooks' company file.
- Once authenticated, the window will close and a successful test connection will show in BrightGauge.
- Name the datasource (by default it will say QuickBooks Online) and make sure to click save at the bottom left. If you do not save the datasource, you will have to redo all steps.
Dashboards, reports, datasets, and gauges will be added to your account after the datasource is saved. They will start syncing immediately and typically complete syncing after 20-30 minutes.
Your Default Dashboards
- BGS - COGS Detail
- BGS - Expenses Detail
- BGS - Financial Overview
- BGS - Revenue Detail
Your Default Reports
- BGS - Financial Performance
- Monthly Expenses Review
- Quarterly P&L Review
- Weekly Account Review
- Bills - Information on bills within Quickbooks
- Bills Line Item Detail - Information on line items within bills
- Customers - A dataset to look at Customers and related details including their current balances
- GL Accounts - This shows current information for all accounts displayed in the chart of accounts for your Quickbooks setup
- Invoice Line Item Detail - Line Item Information on Invoices
- Invoices - Information on invoices from your Quickbooks setup. Invoices dated within the last 730 days
- Journal Entries Last 365 Days - All Journal Entries entered into Quickbooks with the transaction date in the last 365 days
- Profit and Loss Detail - Profit and Loss from the current and previous calendar years.
For a list of all default gauges, please visit the "Gauges" section of your account, sort by the Datasource you'd like to see and select for Default.
If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask us at email@example.com.