We now have an integration with Quickbooks On-Premises using the QuickBooks Web Connector. This integration enables you to create dashboards and reports in BrightGauge with your QuickBooks On-Premises data.
Step 1 - Log in to your BrightGauge Account
If you have not created an account yet, go here to get started.
After you log in:
- For New Accounts
From the Account Overview page, click Add a Datasource.
- If you are logged in with an Existing Account:
Click on the Data menu at the top right-hand corner of the screen and select Datasources.
Find the Quickbooks Web Connector datasource under All or under the appropriate category:
Step 2 - Configure the Datasource Settings
We'll need some information on your current setup to get started. Please be sure to fill this in exactly as mentioned below, or you will run into issues with the connection process.
- Name: This is the name the datasource will have within BrightGauge. This is for your reference only.
- File Path: Please enter the full file path to the Quickbooks company file as you would access it from the machine that has the Quickbooks Web Connector installed. This needs to match the file path that the Quickbooks client is already using. The easiest way to get this is by launching Quickbooks (without logging into the company file) and seeing the path it lists there:
You must include the full file path including the file name (and extension). In the end, the path for the file pictured above would look like this format:
C:\Users\Public\Documents\Intuit\Quickbooks\Sample Company Files\Quickbooks 2015\sample_service-based business.qbw
Please be sure not to include any extra spaces, characters, symbols, etc.
- Password: Please create a basic alpha-numeric password (less than 30 characters long) for the web connector integration to use. (Using a complex password with symbols will result in an error when saving the datasource page.) Please be sure to document this password. This is NOT the password to your company file, nor your BrightGauge password; please do not use either of these. This is a new password that you are creating solely for the purpose of authenticating the datasource and the web connector. You will need this again in a few minutes.
Click Save after you complete all fields.
Note: If you receive a "We are sorry" error when saving the datasource, please ensure that a basic alpha-numeric password is being used.
Step 3 - Configure Web Connector
To configure the web connector:
- Click on the datasource again to access the download link for the install file.
- Transfer the file to the machine where the web connector is installed, but please DO NOT OPEN IT YET. This machine must have the Quickbooks client installed on it, as well as the latest version of the web connector.
- Open Quickbooks and log in to the company file as the Admin user.
- Switch over to single-user mode.
- Double-click on the install file. An authentication window appears within the Quickbooks client.
- Click Yes, always allow access even if Quickbooks is not running.
- Select the Admin user from the drop-down.
- Click Continue. The BrightGauge application then appears within the Web Connector itself.
- Select the BrightGuge (QA) checkbox.
- Click Update Selected. You are prompted to enter the Install Password you created on the datasource settings page in BrightGauge.
- Click Save.
Note: Please do not edit the sync interval (titled “Every-Min”) on the web connector, as changing the interval from the original default setting WILL BREAK the integration.
- Switch the company file back to multi-user mode, log off from the company file, and exit the Quickbooks client.
Note: Please note that there must an active Windows user session in order for the web connector to run (this is a requirement from Intuit).
Step 4 - Begin the Initial Dataset Sync
To begin the initial data sync:
- From BrightGauge, navigate to Data > Datasets.
- Locate the new Quickbooks Web Connector datasets.
- Click on a dataset.
- Click Sync. Repeat for each Quickbooks Web Connector dataset.
This is only required for this initial setup, after that the datasets will sync automatically.
Dashboards, reports, datasets, and gauges will be added to your account after the datasource is saved. They will start syncing immediately and typically complete syncing after 20-30 minutes.
Your Default Dashboards
- BGS - COGS Detail
- BGS - Expenses Detail
- BGS - Financial Overview
- BGS - Revenue Detail
Your Default Reports
- BGS - Financial Overview
- Monthly Expense Report
- Quarterly P&L Review
- Weekly Account Review
For a list of all default gauges, please visit the Gauges section of your account, sort by the Datasource you'd like to see, and select for Default.
If you have any questions, please contact Support by selecting Help > Open a Ticket from the top menu bar.