This page applies to: BrightGauge Essentials Pilot
This document provides an introduction to BrightGauge Essentials. Essentials is a free, slimmed-down version of BrightGauge designed to provide small TSPs dashboards and reporting for key business applications. If you're new to BrightGauge, you can learn more about how BrightGauge works here.
Note: Currently, Essentials is only available for ConnectWise Manage partners. However, Essentials will be rolled out to all ConnectWise products in future releases.
This article covers the following topics:
- Managing users
- Creating user roles in Home
- Assigning user roles in Home
- Logging in
- Connecting a datasource
- Sharing dashboards with viewers
- Presenting dashboards
- Filtering dashboards
- Sending reports
- Upgrading your account
Video: BrightGauge Essentials Overview
The following video provides a tour of BrightGauge Essentials and covers setting up your account, creating roles, connecting to a datasource, and more.
Where do I start?
To set up your Essentials account:
- Configure the BrightGauge user roles in ConnectWise Home.
- Assign the roles to your users.
- Log in to Essentials.
- Connect a datasource.
- Share dashboards with your users.
BrightGauge Essentials Users
Essentials includes three user types:
- BrightGauge Admins have full access to the Essentials account. Each Essentials account includes one Admin user. Because you only have one Admin, designate who in your company will be the Admin before you set up your account.
- BrightGauge Analysts are Admin users with reduced rights and are limited to building and managing data from only the datasets they have permission to access. Each Essentials account includes one Analyst user.
- BrightGauge Viewers may only view and present dashboards. Each Essentials account includes an unlimited number of viewers.
Admins and Analysts are classified as Users in BrightGauge, whereas Viewers are classified as Viewers. To view and manage Admins and Analysts, navigate to Your Account > Users. To view and manage Viewers, navigate to Your Account > Viewers.
The following table lists the features available to admin and viewer users in Essentials.
|Apply dashboard filters||✓||✓||✓|
|Create/Delete dashboard filters||✓||✓|
Create BrightGauge Roles in Home
Before you log in to Essentials:
- Enable ConnectWise SSO.
- Designate who in your company will be the sole Admin.
- Create and assign the BrightGauge Admin and BrightGauge Viewer roles in ConnectWise Home.
To create the BrightGauge roles in Home:
- Log in to ConnectWise Home.
- Navigate to the ConnectWise Home > User & Application Settings > Roles tab.
- Click ADD A NEW ROLE.
- Enter BrightGauge Admin into the Name field.
- Add a Description for the role.
- Select the Users List tab.
- Select your designated admin user. Remember, you may only have one Admin user.
- Click Save.
- Repeat steps 2 through 8 for the BrightGauge Analyst and BrightGauge Viewer roles.
Assign User Roles from Home
Designate who in your company will be the admin for the account and assign them the BrightGauge Admin role. All other users are viewer users assigned the BrightGauge Viewer role. Only users assigned a role in Home may log in to Essentials. If you must add additional viewer users, you may do so at any time from ConnectWise Home. Assigned user roles can be updated for multiple users at once.
To assign a role from Home:
- Log in to ConnectWise Home.
- Navigate to the ConnectWise Home > User & Application Settings > Users tab.
- Select the checkbox of the appropriate user(s).
- Select User Settings > Permissions > User Roles.
- Select Add Role.
- Select the role and click Apply.
Important: Once the Viewer role is assigned from Connectwise Home, each Viewer user will need to log into Connectwise Home and click the Essentials tile to log into BrightGauge for the first time. Once they do, their Viewer user will be visible within BrightGauge's Viewer User section. Then the BrightGauge Admin will be able to assign Dashboard permissions to that user.
Log In to Essentials
Access your BrightGauge account from ConnectWise Home.
To log in to BrightGauge:
- Log in to ConnectWise Home.
- Hover over the BrightGauge tile in My ConnectWise Hub and click Launch. BrightGauge opens in a new browser tab.
After login, Admins are brought to the BrightGauge home page. Analysts and Viewers are brought to the Dashboards screen. By default, Analysts and Viewers cannot see dashboards until they are shared by the Admin.
Connect a Datasource
Datasources provide the data for your dashboards and reports. Before your dashboards and reports can display data, you must connect a datasource to your BrightGauge account. Only Admin users can add datasources. To access your datasources, select Data > Datasources from the top menu bar.
Note: More datasources will be added as Essentials is made available for other ConnectWise solutions.
For instructions on adding a datasource, please refer to the following articles:
Dashboards and reports are added to your account after the datasource is saved. The initial sync usually takes 20-30 minutes to complete. Please note that dashboard and report gauges only pull data for the last 30 days. To include data beyond 30 days, apply filters to your dashboards and reports.
Note: Currently, Manage data sync once every 24 hours.
Share a Dashboard
Analysts and Viewers cannot see dashboards until they are shared by the Admin.
Share from a Dashboard
To share from a dashboard:
- Click Dashboards in the top menu bar.
- Select the dashboard you would like to share.
- Select More > Dashboard Users.
- Select the checkbox for each Analyst or Viewer who should have access to the dashboard.
- Click Apply.
Share with a Viewer
Alternatively, Admins can share dashboards from the Your Account menu.
To share with a Viewer:
- Navigate to Your Account > Viewers.
- Click on the Edit icon for the desired viewer.
- Select the checkbox for each dashboard you would like the viewer to access.
- Click Save.
Share with an Analyst
To share with an Analyst:
- Navigate to Your Account > Users.
- Click on the Edit icon for the desired user.
- Select the checkbox for each dataset, dashboard, and report you would like to share with the Analyst. Be sure to allow access to all necessary datasets. If an Analyst has access to a dashboard but they do not have access to the dataset supplying data to that dashboard, they will not be able to see data on that dashboard.
- Click Save.
Present a Dashboard
Presentation mode optimizes dashboards for display on TVs and monitors. For example, you can display a ticketing dashboard on a TV mounted on a wall in the technician area of your office or display a sales dashboard in your sales bullpen. Admins, Analysts, and Viewers can present dashboards. If you'd like to present a dashboard on a large monitor or TV, we recommend using a Viewer account to do so. Viewer user sessions expire after two years, whereas Admin and Analyst sessions expire after two weeks.
Two options are available when presenting a dashboard:
The multiple dashboard option enables you to create a rotating playlist of up to 10 dashboards.
Present a Single Dashboard
To present a single dashboard:
- Locate the dashboard you would like to present.
- Click Present and select Single Dashboard. The dashboard switches to presentation mode.
- To exit presentation mode, click the TV icon in the upper-right corner of the dashboard. You are returned to the Dashboards screen.
Present Multiple Dashboards
To present multiple dashboards:
- Click Dashboards in the top navigation bar.
- Select a dashboard you would like to present.
- Click Present and select Rotate Dashboards.
- Click and drag dashboards from the Your Dashboards column into the Playlist column.
- Click Save & Present.
Change a Dashboard Color Theme
Dashboards can be presented with either a light or a dark color theme. To change a dashboard's color theme, click the paintbrush icon in the upper-right corner of the dashboard. Then, select a color theme.
Filter a Dashboard
Dashboard filters enable you to quickly sort and view specific information on a dashboard. For example, you have a technician dashboard that displays ticket information for all your technicians. You can create a filter for each technician so you can quickly view individual data for each technician from the same dashboard.
To apply a dashboard filter:
- Locate the dashboard you would like to filter.
- Click Add A Filter. The Add Filter window appears.
- Enter a name for the filter.
- Select which field(s) to include in the filter. The Add Filter window allows you to search for fields and displays a list of available fields sorted by dataset. To search for a field, type the field name into the Which fields do you want to filter? box. A list of fields matching the search is displayed. Select the checkbox for each field you want to include. Be sure to select the relevant field from each dataset.
- After you select your field(s), select an operator and enter your criteria. Please note that the available operators are dependent on the field type (text, number, date, etc.) you select.
- Click Save Changes to apply the filter.
To disable a dashboard filter, click Active Filter, then click the toggle next to the filter name.
Quick Tips for Dashboard Filters
- Only Admin and Analyst users have access to create, edit, and delete filters. Viewer users may only toggle filters on and off.
- Any dashboard filters left toggled on or off are preserved the next time you view that dashboard. Viewer filters are not preserved and revert back to how the Admin has them set.
- When multiple dashboard filters are applied at once, only the overlapping data is displayed. For example, if you have two separate technician filters toggled on, you may only see the tickets they have both submitted work for.
Send a Report
Reports allow you to share snapshots of important metrics with internal team members. Please note that reports can only be sent to other users within the account. Reports cannot be sent externally and cannot be scheduled in advance. Admins and Analysts may send reports; however, Analysts cannot view and send reports until they are shared by the Admin.
To send a report:
- Select Reports from the top menu bar.
- Click the three dots icon for the report you would like to send and select Create Report.
- The For My Company option is selected by default. Click Next Step.
- The report template is automatically selected. Click Next Step.
- Edit the report title and subtitle as desired. Please note that report gauges cannot be added to, removed from, or modified within the report.
- Click Next Step.
- Click into the To field to select the desired report recipient(s). The report can only be sent internally to users within your Essentials account.
- Modify the email subject and message as needed.
- Click Send Report. The report is sent as a weblink to the selected recipients.
The following dashboards and reports are included in Essentials. Please note that data sync once every 24 hours. Data cannot be manually synced within Essentials.
- Essentials Dashboard | Financials: Provides a view into invoices, revenue, and top sales representatives to help you determine if your company is meeting its financial goals.
- Essentials Dashboard | Operations: Shows how your service teams are handling items such as ticket volume, resolution times, and ticket priorities.
- Essentials Dashboard | Service & Revenue: Displays information from both the Financials and Opertaions dashboards to provide an overview of the overall health of your TSP.
- Manage Onboarding: Designed for new Manage partners to see how they're utilizing Manage and what they can do to further expand their implementation.
- Essentials Report | Financials
- Essentials Report | Operations
- Essentials Report | Service & Revenue
Upgrade Your Account
You can upgrade your account at any time from within BrightGauge. For more information on what's included in each plan, please refer to the BrightGauge Plan Feature Comparison.
To upgrade your account:
- Navigate to Your Account > Billing.
- Click Upgrade.
- Edit your location settings, timezone, and language, if needed.
- Click Next Step.
- Enter your name and payment information, then click Add Card.
- Click Change Plan.
- Select a plan from the list. The numbers default admins and datasources are displayed. Click the plus and minus signs to add or remove users and datasources as needed. Note how changes are reflected in the monthly price.
- Click Complete Upgrade.
BrightGauge Plan Feature Comparison
The following table lists the features available to each BrightGauge plan. Please note that default resources (dashboards, reports, datasets) are only added to an account after a datasource is connected.
|View default dashboards||✓||✓||✓||✓|
|Send default reports||✓||✓||✓||✓|
|Filter dashboards and reports||✓||✓||✓||✓|
|Create dashboards, gauges, reports||✓||✓||✓|
|Edit dashboards, gauges, reports||✓||✓||✓|
|Delete dashboards, gauges, reports||✓||✓||✓|
|Custom client mappings||✓||✓||✓|
|Unlimited viewer users||✓||✓||✓|
|Peer group benchmarking||✓||✓|
|Free data-driven workshop||✓|
|Included datasources||1 (Manage)||2||2||4|
|Available datasources||1 (Manage)||72||72||72|
|Included admin users||1||2||3||3|