Note: The body of this document will be copied and replace the body of the following existing document: Installing the BrightGauge Agent
This article describes how to install the BrightGauge Agent. The BrightGauge Agent is used to connect on-prem Datasources to BrightGauge. It is used to transfer data between systems using a push methodology (meaning it does not require any inbound traffic to your network) via RSA2048 + AES256 encryption. It runs strictly as a service on the host computer and does not have a GUI.
Installing the agent consists of the following steps:
- Selecting a host computer on which to install the agent.
- Downloading and Installing the agent on the host computer.
- Configuring the Datasource settings on your BrightGauge account.
Select a Host
- 4GB RAM (8GB+ recommended) Note: This is a free requirement as the agent temporarily stores data in RAM after receiving it from your SQL server and before passing it to BrightGauge.
- Windows Server® 2012 R2 or later for servers (Windows® 10 or later for workstations)
- Consistent uptime
For best results with data syncs, it is recommended to install the agent directly on the database server (given it meets all of the system requirements listed above). If this is not an option, the agent can be installed on any other machine (server or workstation) that meets the system requirements and is on the same network as the database you are trying to connect to.
For best performance, it is recommended to install one agent per Datasource, although one agent can be used for multiple Datasources as long as they are all on the same internal network. (Note: The more Datasources connected to one agent, the more chances of timeouts occurring with connections/queries).
Download and Install the Agent
To download and install the agent:
- Log in as a local or domain administrator to the device you have chosen to be the host.
- Open up a web browser (preferably Chrome as it is our recommended web browser) and navigate to your BrightGauge account (https://YOURSUBDOMAIN.brightgauge.co)
- Log in to your BrightGauge account as an Admin user.
Add the desired on-prem Datasource to your account:
- New Accounts
On the first login, from the Account Overview page, click on the "Add a Datasource" button:
- Existing Accounts
Click on the "Data" menu on the top righthand corner of the screen, select "Datasources" from the dropdown menu, and then click "Add A New Datasource" on the top right-hand corner:Note: Whether a new or existing account, you'll come to a list of all available Datasource connections in BrightGauge. Choose the desired on-prem Datasource you are trying to connect.
- Once you choose a Datasource, you will come to a Datasource configuration page with a header like the one below:
- Copy the "Agent Install Token" as you will need it in a later step below.
- Click the "Download" link to download the agent installer.
(Note: The first service listed as "BrightGauge ITSPlatform Service" handles the actual data syncing between the database and your BrightGauge Account. The second service listed as "BrightGauge ITSPlatformManager Service" managed updates for the agent itself.)
(Please note that once the install of the Agent is complete, the Agent will automatically initiate a check-in and final registration process in the background. This process may take up to 15 minutes to complete.)
(The dropdown menu will list the agent hostname along with the public IP address it uses for outbound traffic from your network. Please do not worry if a different public IP address is used for incoming traffic, as the agent uses a push methodology and does not rely on an inbound connection.)
Configure Datasource Settings
Once the agent is installed, you will still need to configure the actual database connection for the desired Datasource via the Datasource configuration page. This includes:
- Selecting the correct agent host from the dropdown menu
- Entering the database details (Ex. Database IP/Hostname, Database name, etc.)These fields vary by Datasource, so please be sure to reference the corresponding connection document for the Datasource you are trying to connect: Available On-Prem Datasources)
- Testing the connection
- Saving the connection
If you experience any issues installing the agent please refer to the following article which lists some common issues/errors: