This page describes the process of using the Parent-Child Dashboard. You can set a dashboard as a child of another dashboard which will allow changes made to the parent to reflect on the child. Moving gauges or adding text or images to the parent dashboard will result in the same change on the child dashboard.
You can change multiple dashboards by making changes only to their ‘parent’ dashboard and link one dashboard as parent to other dashboards.
Note: Filtering needs to be updated on each child dashboard. Gauges are added automatically through parent, but the filtering selections for any new datasets will not be set on the child automatically. You need to go through each child dashboard and update the selected fields in their filter selections.
Note: Admin permissions are required to make changes to Parent and Child dashboards.
How to Create a Child Dashboard
- Navigate to the dashboard you want to be the parent.
- Select More.
- Select Clone Dashboard.
- Select Clone as child dashboard in popup.
- Click Create.
Parent and Child Dashboards
- Parent and Child dashboards display a label in the drop-down menu to help organize your dashboards.
- Changes made to parent dashboards automatically reflect in the child dashboards. When making changes such as adding a gauge, a notification displays to remind you that any changes to the parent result in automatic updates to the child.
- Create a filter in a Parent dashboard to reflect the change and add the same filter in the child dashboard gauges. Filtering values (criteria) are not automatically applied to child dashboard gauges as the criteria could be different than the parent. Follow the steps below to use the Global Filter function.
- Deleting a filter from the Parent dashboard deletes the filter from the Child dashboard.
- Creating a filter in a Child dashboard is only temporary. When a Parent dashboard is visited and refreshed the filter is removed.
Note: Admin and Analyst users can create, edit, and delete filters. Viewers may toggle filters on and off.
Apply global filters to the Parent dashboard to reflect in Child dashboards:
- Navigate to the Parent dashboard.
- Select Filter drop-down.
- Select Add a Filter or toggle an existing filter on or off.
- Complete filter criteria as required. Follow the steps in Dashboard Filters for creating a filter.
- Navigate to the Child dashboard.
- Select the Filter drop-down.
- Enable the filter by using the toggle.
Note: Filters created for the first time appear on the Child dashboard as deactivated. Navigate to the child dashboard to activate the newly created filter.
View the organization of parent-to-child dashboard:
- Select a dashboard from the Dashboards drop-down.
- Navigate to More > View Hierarchy.
- If the selected dashboard is a Parent, it displays in green font with the associated Child dashboards listed below in a hierarchy.
- If the dashboard you selected is a Child, it displays in green font with the associated Parent and Child dashboards listed in a hierarchy.